Friday 14 August 2015

The Power of Water

(8/16/15) I am back on the grid after a few days of camping in the backcountry. The next few blogs will be a looking back at what was going on in that time. Just a note: I would provide names of the places that we go to, but we weren't given an itinerary. Our leaders wanted to inform us on a day-by-day basis so that we would not worry about anything other than the immediate future.

We made a few stops along the way as we headed into the highlands to camp. First, we visited a beautiful waterfall that rivaled some of the largest I have seen. From there we went to lunch at a greenhouse that grows tomatoes and cucumbers all year using geothermal heat. The food was top-notch. Our last stop was a hydropower plant, where we toured the grounds and were able to practice being a dam operator. Their simulation took into account water availability throughout the year as well as the demand from the grid. The goal for the operator was to "ride the line" to provide enough electricity with the available water supply by adjusting flow through turbines and filling and emptying two reservoirs. This was a particularly helpful demonstration of what goes into operating a complex hydropower system.

The falls.

This greenhouse grows cucumbers and tomatoes.

My lunch: tomato soup, sour cream, and fresh basil, with fresh bread and butter.

Another waterfall downstream from the hydropower plant, nestled between walls of rosette tuff.

Dam operation simulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog?

Most of the time, I am going, going, going--like the Energizer Bunny. As much as I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, I enjoy sharing life even more. So, blogging allows me to share snippets of life with people who I can't physically be with, but care much about. I have been incredibly blessed and wish to share that with all those around me, even in spirit.

My summer will be jam-packed with energy, which I hope doesn't drain me of my spunk. From the DOE to Iceland, Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, I hope you can walk with me for this bit of time.