Sunday 16 August 2015

Færieland

At this point in my trip, I have come to the conclusion that Iceland is a magical place. No wonder tales of elves and trolls, fairies and hidden people abound. Nature is magnificent and rules the landscape. They also employ energy systems that work with their environment, not against it. This is an interesting philosophy that complements the respect Icelanders have for Mother Earth. Everyone acknowledges that she will ultimately win in any competition, so they do not aim to dominate her, but to use her resources wisely and safely.

We headed back to "civilization" today, by way of a few scenic stops. First, we climbed up canyons carved by glaciers (you can tell by the striations on the walls). Then, we drove back towards "town" in Super Jeeps, which are basically tricked out vans that can drive through rivers and mud and sand. We popped in to see a receding glacier and then on to see a residential hydropower system. After that, we saw another spectacular waterfall (rainbows included). Finally, we ended up on the black sand beach across from the island of the puffins. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see any puffins, but maybe our paths will cross before I leave.

 Glacial canyon near our campsite.

Our sweet rides for the backcountry, named "Super Jeeps".

There are many glaciers coming down from the ice caps. We went up to this one and peered inside.

We stopped at a residential hydropower station on a mink farm somewhere in South Iceland.

One minute you are walking on grass or volcanic rock; the next, you come upon spectacular waterfalls.

This place is actually magical.

The black sandy beaches of Southern Iceland. Those islands in the distance are where all the puffins live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog?

Most of the time, I am going, going, going--like the Energizer Bunny. As much as I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, I enjoy sharing life even more. So, blogging allows me to share snippets of life with people who I can't physically be with, but care much about. I have been incredibly blessed and wish to share that with all those around me, even in spirit.

My summer will be jam-packed with energy, which I hope doesn't drain me of my spunk. From the DOE to Iceland, Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, I hope you can walk with me for this bit of time.