Saturday 15 August 2015

Sleeping at the Feet of Eyjafjallajökull

So you remember that volcano that blew up in Iceland recently and shut down air traffic in Europe? Well, it lives under that ice cap you see in the distance of the first photo. Yes, we were camping at the foot of this sleeping giant. I spent two or so days trying to nail down its pronunciation: Eyja-fjalla-jökull, meaning "island-mountain-glacier".

All we did today was go on a hike. "All we did" was 10+ miles in the highlands. We stopped halfway to eat lunch at Tröllakirkja, meaning "troll church". Our hike culminated with a stunning view of the valley we were camping in: from glacier to delta. Gosh, it was breathtaking. And I geeked out a bit at the braided fluvial system below and at my first glimpse at the ice cap.

Our campsite.

Another volcano.

Our lunch spot was the rock protrusion on the right.

Trölla-kirkja = troll church.

The upstream of the valley.

The downstream of the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog?

Most of the time, I am going, going, going--like the Energizer Bunny. As much as I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, I enjoy sharing life even more. So, blogging allows me to share snippets of life with people who I can't physically be with, but care much about. I have been incredibly blessed and wish to share that with all those around me, even in spirit.

My summer will be jam-packed with energy, which I hope doesn't drain me of my spunk. From the DOE to Iceland, Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, I hope you can walk with me for this bit of time.