Thursday 13 August 2015

Caves, Water, and Rift Zones

Today was SUPER FUN. Aside from the torrential downpours, the day was jam packed with adventure. We started off going caving in a lava tube and learning some history and lore behind the tubes. Then, we went to Thingvellir National Park and hiked in the rift zone of the Mid Atlantic Ridge. For all you GOT fans, this was the filming site for the Wall in the North. To finish off the day, we went snorkeling in the flooded canyon of the rift zone. The water is 2-3C, which is just above freezing. This water is crystal clear, meaning the visibility is 100m+, which is roughly double of what can be found snorkeling in the Caribbean. We got bundled up and headed off into the water and saw stunning views! SO COOL (literally).

In our time back at the hostel, we are starting to investigate ideas for our capstone project. My group is looking at sustainability and water issues of varying sorts. From our initial brainstorming, we thought of targeting residential homeowners in California and Texas to change their lawns from non-native to native grasses, which would cut up to 50% of their water consumption. With a little research, we found that there are many organizations and subsidies already in place for this, which is awesome. So now we are looking into a slightly different project, but are encouraged that others have come to the same solution.

I will be off the grid for the next two days because we will be camping in the highlands. Stay tuned for more updates this weekend!

Caving with the crew (photo cred: Andie Biggs)

Our leader, Bjarni, was being comical behind me.

Spitting image of me today.

Snorkeling in the rift zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog?

Most of the time, I am going, going, going--like the Energizer Bunny. As much as I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, I enjoy sharing life even more. So, blogging allows me to share snippets of life with people who I can't physically be with, but care much about. I have been incredibly blessed and wish to share that with all those around me, even in spirit.

My summer will be jam-packed with energy, which I hope doesn't drain me of my spunk. From the DOE to Iceland, Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, I hope you can walk with me for this bit of time.