Monday 17 August 2015

Fire and Ice, and Biofuels?

Today we were exposed to the fire and ice of Iceland.  Across from a farm stands this Eyjafjallajökull visitor center, where we saw a video on the impacts of the 2010 eruption on local farm life. This eruption is the one that shut down air traffic in Europe for some time. The volcano (a name which stumps newscasters), sits under the icecap in South Iceland. When it erupted, it melted through and caused major flooding in addition to accumulation of ash. The farm that sits at the base of the volcano survived and flourishes in its non-traditional agricultural role.

The farm is one of the first commercial biofuels experiments in Iceland. They grow rapeseed for rapeseed oil, also known as Canola oil. They use the oil for fuel and for consumption, and the byproducts for animal feed and fertilizer. They have been successfully operating since 2006.

In the afternoon, we went hiking again and got to go up on a glacier. We got to see the physical consequences of rapid melting in the valley as well as the ash deposits from the last eruption. 

Tomorrow we present our capstone research that we have been working on for the last 8 days. I am excited to hear what other groups are proposing!


Eyjafjallajökull visitor center below the volcano/icecap (seen in the back).

Our lecture on biofuels.

Another waterfall.

Hiking on the Solheimajökull Glacier in crampons.

The crew "chillin'" on the glacier, with a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why blog?

Most of the time, I am going, going, going--like the Energizer Bunny. As much as I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, I enjoy sharing life even more. So, blogging allows me to share snippets of life with people who I can't physically be with, but care much about. I have been incredibly blessed and wish to share that with all those around me, even in spirit.

My summer will be jam-packed with energy, which I hope doesn't drain me of my spunk. From the DOE to Iceland, Pennsylvania to New Hampshire, I hope you can walk with me for this bit of time.